A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Monday, November 21, 2005

The Big To-Do

Like Catherine and RJ3 before her, my thoughts have wandered to how I will spend my last couple (quite literally) months in the city. Though I can't claim to have been here as long as the Zuntas, I've certainly done some time within the boundaries of 495 -- but there are many things I haven't done. Couple that with the fact that I'll be going some place where certain activities will be impossible to enjoy, and you have the foundations of a theoretically infinite list. Perhaps unsurprisingly, much of this list involves some sort of consumption (hello, blog title peeps!), a predeliction that I will embrace with a fullness.

Unfortunately, some of the things I've never done are limited by the unpredictability of DC weather. So though I haven't, for example, watched planes land at Gravelly Point, I think I'll only include such ideas as suggested if weather allows.

So here goes the first go at a list:

1. Hear Handel's Messiah at the National Cathedral.
2. Watch the White House Christmas tree lighting.
3. For that matter, get a tour of the White House.
4. Eat at: Acadiana, Ray's the Steaks, the back room of Palena, Colorado Kitchen, Kaz Sushi Bistro (let's leave Citronelle and CityZen for when my differential pay comes in, okay?).
5. To echo Catherine, get drinks at the Mandarin Oriental or the Hay-Adams.
6. Take a walking tour of Anacostia.
7. Watch the sun rise over the Capitol (preferrably as the end to a looooong night).
8. Go back to Nation one last time.
9. Crap, another from the Zunta list: go to the top of the Washington Monument.
10. Eat as much good, fresh seafood as humanly possible. And for that matter, pork.

There are, of course, a number of other things I plan on doing here before I go -- but these are some priorities. If you have ideas of other things I need to do, hit me up -- especially if you can facilitate #'s 3 and 4, or want to join in on any of these (ad)ventures. I've got some time, a digital camera, and the wind at my sails. Let's do this thing.