A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Like a Record Baby

First, obligatory via blog title food content, long time coming. Pictured is my first real substantial cooking in a pretty long time. It's kind of like my usual roast chicken but not at all. I took some beurre composee I had made (chive and garlic) and stuffed some medallions under the skin, and then wrapped the entire bird in bacon and roasted it for about 1.5 hours at 300 degrees. The results were predictably greasy and delicious. The salad was, you know, for my heart. I'm trying to get as many tomatoes into me as possible before the season ends. Photo of the bird carcass available on my flickr account. Some, most likely Missy, may note that this is not my first go at bacon-wrapped entrees, but I don't do it very often. But it's great once in a while.

Today was one of the most interesting days at A-100. We had a fantastically dynamic lecturer teach us a seminar called "Composure Under Fire" -- basically, dealing with hostile, challenging questions. Prior days have been spent learning about public speaking from the page. I really suck at that. But today was different. Extemporaneous speaking is where I'm Viking. The emphasis was on the fact that we're all now representatives of the American government, and when at post will be such 24-7. Yeah, that's not pressure at all.

A-100 continues to go well overall. Monday and Tuesday will be incredibly stressful for me and one of my colleagues, not to mention the fact that I have a Bengali test Tuesday. But the weeks are really flying by (tomorrow is Friday???) so the flag should be coming soon enough. The class is going from cameraderie to some good friendships and I'm really happy about that. Oh yeah, and we got our first paychecks. I'm a thousandaire!