A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Roam in My Stomach

I eat an inordinate amount of buffalo, probably more than 90% of people. It's usually a minimum of 4-6 meals a month, sometimes less, depending on season. It really can't be helped; I've got a source for good free-range red meat within walking distance from my house, the only thing being that it's buffalo and not cow.

Last night felt like chili weather, and in keeping with policy I opted out of pre-packaged mixes or any recipe, really, and went by gut. The only thing I regret is not buying any garlic at the store; when I got home, I realized my garlic was one step past edible and I had no garlic powder. Must remedy that situation! Anyway, this is an incredibly easy recipe, and I suspect it will taste even better tonight.

1 lb ground buffalo (or beef, or turkey)
1/2 large white onion, diced
3 cherry red peppers, diced
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 16 oz can red kidney beans
3 tbspns chili powder (I used more because I like it VERY spicy, adjust to taste)
1 tsp cumin
2 tsps kosher salt
Worcestershire sauce

Sauté the onion over medium heat in a healthy pour of olive oil if using buffalo or turkey, less if using beef. Wait until the onion is translucent and add in the meat, and brown. When the meat is about a quarter of the way done, add in the chili powder, salt, cumin, and peppers. When the meat is done browning, pour in the tomatoes and kidney beans juice and all. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes depending on your desired consistency (more time = less liquid). Top with any desired toppings (sour cream, cheese, green onions, whatever) and serve with a piece of crusty bread.

Packaged chili powder mix is for suckers. Come up with your own spice combos -- it's not that hard, and you're making the recipe your own. Add cinnamon for some light sweetness, or maybe a dash of brown sugar. Add garlic and you have my favorite variation on chili. Any other suggestions for good chili recipes? This is one of my favorite dishes to cook when I'm feeling lazy... but I'm getting lazy on the innovation front too, so tips are welcome.