A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Pork & Pineapple "Salad," Wilted Beet Greens, Chili Vinaigrette

So this was my leftover solution, with the addition of the pork chop.

I took an extremely thick pork chop (about .75 lbs.) and dry rubbed it in chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and kosher salt for about two days (flipping about every 12 hours).

After the two days, I threw the pork on the grill over medium high flames for 40 minutes, 20 on one side, 15 on the other, and 2.5 on the two longer edges. In the meantime, I washed and chopped a cup of fresh beet greens, minced half a shallot, and minced four cloves of garlic. Oh, and diced a half cup of pineapple.

After the pork was done (easily told -- test the resistance the meat has to slight pressure. If it's like the heel of your palm, you're at medium rare; your forearm, rare; the top of your foot, thoroughly inedible), I took the meat off to rest. While it was resting (4-8 minutes) I sauteed the garlic and shallots in a healthy glug of olive oil and threw in the chopped greens, sauteeing them all together and mixing over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes. You can tell the beet greens are done when they turn bright red green (it was late, I was tired! Yeesh).

I plated the greens and put 1/3 cup cider vinegar and a tablespoon of chili flakes in a teeny sauce pan to heat. I chopped the pork into pieces about the same size as the pineapple and plated the whole mess, and then drizzled on the vinegar/chili flake mix.

The result was interesting. The garlic had caramelized because of a heat mishap, but the sweetness wasn't a bad element, especially when countering the bitter greens. The pork, well, it was too salty, even for me. Must learn to have a lighter hand with that. But all together -- the pineapple, the pork, the greens, the dressing -- I enjoyed this meal. A bit much to prepare when you start at a quarter to 9, but it was good.

One question: what the heck kind of cuisine is this? Its surely not Polynesian. Good god, I think I'm cooking fusion.