A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Thursday, July 21, 2005

FSO: Feeling So Odd

Enough teasing. Yesterday I found out that I made it in to the Foreign Service -- that is, passed the written, passed the orals, passed the language, passed security, and passed the medical. Paperwork in regards to my salary is currently being worked out, and it's about 99% that I'll be starting my training at the Foreign Service Institute on September 6th. Seven weeks of intense training followed by a 6-8 month period of more training.

I've got so many mixed feelings about this. This has been a dream of mine for some time, but the actuality of it all still hasn't hit me. And from the moment I received "the tap" things have been moving very, very quickly. Thank goodness I live in DC; otherwise, this would have been an even more nervewracking situation. And there are the feelings of sadness about leaving my current job, my first real job ever.

So where to from here? I don't know. There's no use in theorizing about where I'm going to end up until I see the actual bid list. There's no use thinking about packing, as I'm here in DC already. Predictably, fashion has become my preoccupation. Suits every day! Those Esquires were really handy.

It appears that the months after this summer will be amazingly intense. So I'll probably spend ample time in celebration in August. And then? Life changes. Significantly.

Woah.