A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Friday, July 22, 2005

Chicken Curry and Running Commentary

2 chicken breasts, skinned, bone in
1/2 large white onion, broadly sliced
2 jalapenos, diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup basil (I used purple)
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Salt
Flour
Spices to taste: may include chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, whatever strikes your fancy


I've never made "curry" from scratch -- that is, without using curry powder or something of the like. Whatever; it's not like the term curry has any *ahem* currency. It's a catch all that just means gravy.

(speaking of gravy, just found out that I'll be financially covered during the lag between new and old job. Not taking a vacation for two years paid off, nice.)

Take a strong knife and chop the chicken breast, breaking the bones. Leave the bones though -- there's a lot of flavor in there! Boneless chicken breasts are an abomination. Cover the chopped pieces in your choice of spices and let sit for a while.

(speaking of sitting for a while, that is what the last few weeks at this job are gonna be for me. Just sittin'. W00t!)

In a large and heavy saucepan, sauté the onions in a healthy glug of olive oil over medium-low heat until almost translucent. Throw in the chicken and cook it all until the chicken is cooked on the exterior. Then add the chicken stock and jalapenos and bring to a boil. When at boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Now is the time to start your rice.

(speaking of rice, am having trouble conceiving of the fact that my ultimate boss will soon be Condi Rice. How crazed is that?)

After 20 minutes, mix in small amounts of flour, stirring carefully with a whisk or small spoon to avoid clumping. Add salt to taste -- you'll need some, especially if you go heavy on the flour. At the very, very last minute throw in your basil and cilantro; your curry should now have a nice green color to it.

(speaking of nice green, there's a lot more green coming my way now. Dream job + raise = elation.)

This curry turned out very spicy, and I did under salt (me, under salt? weird) the dish a little. But it was good. Next time I make it, I think I'm going to eschew the breast and go for the tastier leg and thigh pieces of the chicken. Chicken breast is overrated anyway.

(speaking of chicken breast... err, actually not, everything has now been made official. Contract is in, papers are signed. Oddly, right now Radiohead lyrics are going through my head... "I'm not here... this isn't happening..." Of course, the feeling behind those lyrics and my current feelings are pretty much opposite.)