A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

That's the Sound of My Arteries, Oohing and Aahing

Last night on the way to Bluestate I stopped in at Oohs and Aahs (note: spelling of restaurant's name is not known at this point. Different sites have spelled it differently; am currently investigating) for some soul food. The power to eat had returned to me, and given the weather outside, I had a hankerin' for what others have described as "heavenly" macaroni and cheese. Problem is, I'd heard that the restaurant isn't the easiest place to grab a seat (they only have six). No matter. I had some back up plans just in case I couldn't get a seat, assuming that Saint-Ex would frown on me bringing in outside food. But my worries were unfounded, and I snagged a chair just before a group of six hopefuls walked in the door. Sorry guys, this seat is taken.

I ordered the fried chicken combo with collard greens and macaroni and cheese. Unfortunately, they were out of greens so I replaced them with green beans. These were probably the low point of the meal, watery and overcooked. I'm curious as to what the greens are like. The chicken, on the other hand, was delicious -- freshly fried and blisteringly hot. I felt the need to slather hot sauce all over them, but that's because I'm a total hot sauce mark. The dish also came with a piece of warm and fresh cornbread with a healthy dollop of butter. Probably the second best part of the meal.

But the mac and cheese, holy cow. This was some macaroni! Perfectly gooey, warm, and delicious. There was no debate that the hype on this putative side dish was right on. Were I a specific someone, say, six years younger and eight inches shorter, I would have been in complete and utter heaven. This wasn't fancy mac with upstate NYC cheddar or some odd combo of cheeses. This was down home mac. Not to say there isn't room in the market for the former, but sometimes you want something really rib-sticky and less frou frou. I was a happy man -- and $14 later, walked out with enough left over for lunch today.

Also: India, one of the proprietors of Oohs and Aahs, is gorgeous -- and loves talking to her customers. That didn't hurt, natch. Also, everyone at the counter spoke with everyone else. We got into a discussion about boxing, which morphed into horse racing, which morphed into discussing whether sports are fixed nowadays. Some interesting opinions, and the convo really gave the place a personality that I enjoyed.

The other bit about Oohs and Aahs I'll leave for DCist tomorrow, where I'm debuting a new weekly column oh-so-creatively titled "The Weekly Feed." Grass came up with the idea of compiling info from the local food message boards, the various other food bloggers, and the Wednesday food section in the Post into one weekly column. Great idea; lets just see how long the content stays interesting. I've got four, maybe five good bits for tomorrow. Will probably be trolling the net to figure out more content soonish.