A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Friday, May 27, 2005

Some Thoughts on Turning 26

25-26 was a good year for me. Fitter, happier, more productive (a pig in a cage on antibiotics, yes yes, I know, but the shoe fits). Of the post collegiate years, I think this year I really started getting comfortable in my adult skin. That's not to say there wasn't drama... but this past year, the latter half especially, have been very good.

Of course, there's a different side to this introspection. Since Dad and I share a birthday, my not-insignificant father issues are magnified tenfold on May 27. So I can't help but compare myself. At 26, my father was successful in the eyes of his parents -- living in America on his own, married and working hard. No matter what the reality of the situation, its the "in the eyes of his parents" that interests me. Am I there yet? I hope so.

I could go on and on. Birthdays are great days where incessent navel-gazing is perfectly acceptible. And truth be told, they are the days when I personally get much more introspective than usual. But on this blog, I'll pass. I had written (again, internets, saving me by eliminating earlier thoughts virtually palimpsest free) a much longer, stupider, more annoying "thoughts about 26" post, but I don't think that is necessary.

One thing though: mom would be proud of me. I actually cut my nails, shaved, am getting a haircut, and wore a new shirt on my birthday. It's either a family thing or a weird Hindu thing. In any case, it felt good to do so.