A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Friday, April 22, 2005

Love Angel Music Baby

You know a meal turns out well when your roommates comment on how good the kitchen smells an hour after you've finished. And the roommates were right; an hour after plating an improvised dish of lamb with a tomato based sauce, the kitchen was still fragrant with the aromas of dinner.

This was my first try at preparing a lamb dish. Somehow I'd ignored the meat in favor of pork and beef for the last, umm, five years of cooking. But no longer! Last night's dinner was delicious.

Three thick lambchops were marinaded in a mixture of EVOO, rosemary, garlic, and a bit of salt overnight. Yesterday I removed the chops and broiled them for 6 minutes on each side, then roasted them at 350 for about 8 minutes to finish. The chops were very thick -- about an inch and a half, to be exact -- and this took them to a perfect medium rare.

The sauce for the lamb, as stated earlier, was tomato based. I diced half a large yellow onion and three cloves of garlic and sautéed them in olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes, just until translucent. I then dropped in a jar of canned/peeled tomatoes, a few dashes of salt, red pepper, black pepper, and worcestershire sauce. After bringing the mix to a soft boil, I reduced the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. At the very last moment I added a jar of artichoke hearts sans the oil and let the mix simmer a little longer.

Plating this dish was simple: place sauce on plate, place chop on sauce, place small amount of sauce on chop and eat. The meat ended up very tender (I used a butter knife to cut it) and the sauce a tasty compliment to the sweetness of the rosemary. Were I dining with a companion I would have popped open one of the bottles of Aussie Shiraz I have gathering dust; instead, I washed the meal down with an Amstel Light and a trashy movie I happened across on Showtime.

Lessons learned from this dinner: lamb is delicious and not difficult to prepare, and making tomato sauce from scratch is also easy. From now on I think I'll try to make all of my pasta sauces instead of falling back to the jar. I think a good puttanesca is next. After all, its a sauce for the hoes, and I do love them hoes.