A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Curry in a Hurry

Just kidding. This recipe actually took a fair amount of time given prep work. But it wasn't so bad. The "in a hurry" part was in reference to the ancillary stuff I was planning on writing, but since Blogger has been down for the bulk of the day, I'll skip to the recipe and evaluation.

2 1/2 cups turkey (dark meat preferred), cooked
1 medium onion, chopped
10 oz sour cream
1 small can chicken broth
Madras curry powder
Chili powder
Cumin

Sauté the onion in olive oil in a karahi or flat bottomed wok over medium heat until translucent. Throw in your turkey and chicken broth and add your spice mixture to taste. More curry flavor? More curry powder. More spicy? More chili powder. You can use about a million different spice combinations here: garam masala, tandoori masala, lemon juice, vindaloo paste, whatever. Have fun and experiment. Bring this mixture to a slow boil.

While doing all this, prepare your rice. For a nice flavor, I used the other half of the chicken broth in the place of some of the water. I've finally found the right timing and water combinations for preparing my favorite brand of rice (not Uncle Ben's), but these vary based on brand and heat. To perfect, I used trial and error. I'm sure there's a better way, but whatever you do, if you smell the rice charring remove from heat immediately. Burnt/charred rice can taste good at times, but not with a curry.

After your turkey mixture comes to a slow boil, reduce the heat and slowly stir in the sour cream. You can also use plain yogurt. With yogurt, I prefer organic for its thicker consistency and stronger flavor. Bring this mixture back to a very slow boil and serve immediately over the rice.

How did this experiment turn out? Well, it was pretty good. I didn't really do much research ahead of time and kind of plowed through. Chose not to set up a marinade because the meat was already cooked; if I were to cook something with raw meat like Scott's great recipe for lamb karahi, marinading the meat would be the way to go. I also think I could have sacrificed some of the initial liquid for a creamier flavor. But overall, a good way to use some leftovers.