A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Thanks, Chemistry

I'm not as big of an Alton Brown fan as some people, so my knowledge of food chemistry is pretty poor. In fact, most of it comes from (gasp!) actual chemistry. In any case, my fritatta tonight did not, at first, come out so great. I took it out of the oven and it was much too runny. But when I thought about how the chemistry works (protein chains need to break down and bond, that needs more heat, heat isn't getting to the center, more time is needed, blah blah blah) and corrected my error, the fritatta turned out fine. Luckily I wasn't cooking to impress and a fritatta can cook up fine even if prematurely pierced (just not as fluffy). In any case, I wasn't expecting dinner tonight to be too perfect, because eggs are my culinary nemesis. Rice is a close second. In all my waxing on and on about my Hakka Chinese from a few nights ago, I neglected to mention I am incapable of not burning rice.

I won't write out the procedures for my pseudo-fritatta. But here are the ingredients. Do with this what you will:

5 eggs
1 Vidalia onion
1 red bell pepper
1 tomato, seeded
1/4 pound pepper jack cheese
3 links chorizo sausage
cream
cilantro
salsa

I did stuff with all these and made a dinner. It turned out well. And I have a chorizo and a pepper left. Nice.

Here's the conundrum for tomorrow: I have both chicken and fritatta left over. The chicken more or less requires rice, but I don't know when I'll have time to make rice between the gym and the OC. But if I don't cook it tomorrow, I don't know when I will; happy hour Friday, wine festival Saturday... if I try to make rice drunk on Saturday night, there will be only disaster. I think what I might do is pre-make the rice before I leave for the wine fest Saturday, thus having it ready for drunk me Saturday night. Maybe. All this planning, crikey.