A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Friday, March 25, 2005

Spring Cleaned

The task of cleaning my room eventually filled an entire industrial sized trash bag. Not that my room was dirty -- but it was ridiculously cluttered. Yesterday I decided enough was enough and cleaned like crazy. Now gone from my room are 4 bottles of wine, 10 beer cans, 3 beer bottles, 1 mickey of Jack (all empty), 7 back issues of Esquire, 3 back issues of Vanity Fair, 2 back issues of Spin, 3 empty shopping bags that served no purpose, and much bric-a-brac that I had no real reason to save. Didn't realize I was such a horrible pack rat until I saw that bag getting filled. Still cluttering the room are numerous overflow books; all of my bookshelves are full and I don't have room for another. And I do not have the heart to throw away reading material. A new bookshelf will be a purchase I'll make when I move.

Found in this spring cleaning was my ring, which had managed to hide itself in between a box of old coffee table books and a bookshelf. How the hell did it get there? That pretty much made my night, especially after my disaster of a steak dinner.

I purchased cheap meat from the NE Farmer's Market last weekend -- steak selling for $5 a pound. I noticed when I purchased the meat that it was fairly well marbled, but looked slightly gristly. No matter. Unfortunately, my ravenousness when I got home last night prevented any complex cooking. Instead, I marinaded the steak for 45 minutes and fried it. BAD IDEA. The sheer amount of gristle on this meat, exacerbated by high heat cooking, was practically unbearable. I have a few pieces left over and I've got to slow cook it next time. There's no other (good) way to melt those connective tissues down. My normal choice of steak is a flatiron, which isn't awesome for flavor but can be cut with a butter knife. The steak from the "other" market? Not so much.

Today a bunch of us went out for a co-workers birthday. Calzones were eaten, and now a small brick has taken up residence in my stomach. It's telling me not to move around much. Nice.