A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Friday, February 11, 2005

Porkchops, the Evaluation

I took my marinaded for two days, freaking huge porkchop and seared each side for about 4 minutes in EVOO over medium-high heat. Then I drained off the burnt oil, added a touch of fresh oil to the pan, and threw it in the oven at 375 for 18 minutes. In the mean time, I strained the marinade, threw it in a small sauce pan, and heated it on low to boil off the water and reduce. Sautéed some asparagus, plated the chop, let rest for five minutes, pour on the sauce, and voíla, dinner.

It turned out pretty damn good. The chop was excellent; the searing nicely carmelized the fatty portions, which was delish, and the sweetness of the maple syrup combined well with the soy sauce within the pork. The thyme was, in the company of such strong flavors, fairly useless. It was pretty much like throwing a ballerina in with wrestlers; when you're working with overpowering flavors like your bog-standard soy sauce, you need assertive counterpoints.

The sauce came out a little less sweet than I wanted, and it could have been a touch--and just a touch--thicker. I'll probably whisk in a bit of corn starch next time, along with some more maple syrup.

Don't have brown sugar? Trust me, a good maple syrup is a fine alternative. It deepens the flavor of pork and compliments the natural sweetness of the meat. If you, like me, are the type that likes syrup on your sausages, try cooking with it. Be careful though; maple syrup, like all other sugars, is easy to burn.

This weekend? Well, nothing planned really. But! I'm going to make braised oxtail curry some time this week. That I am so looking forward to. Does anyone know a good store to buy West Indian style roti? I think that would work well with the oxtail. I'll be in the Takoma/Langley area Sunday; advice is highly appreciated.