A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Food Politics

If you haven't seen it, this post is what I was referring to in my last entry. There's some controversy already--over a recipe! Cultural plagiarism is the main issue, because Scott used the modifier "Israeli". According to Wikipedia, falafel originated on the Indian subcontinent. That isn't surprising at all, as it resembles many of the chops my mom makes. The word itself has its roots in Tamil.

In all honesty, I'm not that opposed to using the word "Israeli" here. Cultures have appropriated foods since the beginnings of human migration. The traditional New England Clam Bake has its origins in old Native American food rituals; the English have co-opted curry as their own national dish; heck, even noodles and dumplings have a fascinating cultural history as different cultures have adapted recipes to fit their tastes and needs. The issue, I suppose, is that "Israeli" carries a lot more political baggage than "New England."

In any case, I'm proud of that post. It's a great recipe that I want to try. Unfortunately, I don't have a food processor--and never mind making fresh pita, that's scary. But I'd like to try it. Anyone want to have a falafel party?