A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Making Due with What You Got

The plan was a pork chop stuffed with onions, spinach, mushrooms, and garlic. Then I saw that I had no onions left, no starches at home to speak of that were explicitly usable, and the mushrooms I had didn't look so great. So here's what I did

2 boneless pork chops, butterflied
1 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
2 thick slices stale pumpernickel bread, cubed
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
Beef stock as needed

Preheat oven to 350 and pound the butterflied pork thin. (I used my double deuces. Where is my mallet? Oh yeah...). Heat skillet over medium, melt butter in skillet. Add garlic to the skillet and saute until translucent. Add the bread and slowly add the beef stock until the bread is slightly less than mushy. Turn off heat and add the feta. Mix well.

Take your bread mixture and place at the center of the butterflied chops. Fold over chops and tie off, being careful that the two ends are tapered thinner than the center. Cut the remaining butter into eight slices. Place the chops in a baking dish, with two slices under each (one at each end) and two atop (ditto). Bake in oven for 35 minutes, flipping once in the middle. If a crisper exterior is desired, broil for a few minutes on each side. Two total servings.

I served this with a side of steamed spinach and a heaping serving of "Lost." B minus for Lost, B for meal. It needed a sauce of some sort to pull it together, but like I said, I got nothin'. Note to Eastern Market: be open next Saturday.