A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Monday, December 20, 2004

Shepherd's Pie

Here is my basic recipe for Shepherd's Pie, which I made last night:

1.5 lbs stew beef
1 medium white onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 tablespoons butter
1 package Idahoan Mashed Potatoes
Beef Broth
Flour

I melted the butter in a large sauce pan and added the veggies over medium heat. At the same time I floured the beef and added it to a separate pan to brown. When the veggies were nice and cooked I poured in the beef and the broth, making the mix nice and thick. I poured all of it into a casserole and topped with (finished, duh) mashed potatoes, putting the whole thing in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.

Again, like the pot pie, this turned out to be homestyle food at its simplest. Next time I make this dish I'll add some pizzazz, but this was my first time and I wasn't feeling experimental. Oh, and I was drunk. Kind of wish I had cooked the beef slower, because it came out a little tough, but overall the meal warrants a 7 or so.

Aren't you just waiting for my Morimoto entry? Because I'm not. Still feeling rough, so I'm calling it a night.