A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Friday, December 17, 2004

A Query

I currently have in my freezer:

3 Chicken Legs & Thighs
1 lb Stew Beef
1 lb Ground Beef

And I don't know what to make. I'm thinking I'll wait on the chicken since I've been eating poultry non stop since roasting that bird two weeks ago. So that leaves the beef options (what a good Hindu I am!). With ground beef, I could whip up some meatballs and have spaghetti--but I don't have any wheat noodles, which I really prefer to the regular kind. With the stew beef, I was thinking of making a version of shepherd's pie. But I don't have the mashed potato topping I was thinking of adding.

Basically, I have no starches. And since I am a Dr. Atkins hater, this is odd. I'll be swinging by some fine commercial establishments to make purchases this afternoon, so this will be remedied.

Here are the questions:

1. Meatballs or shepherd's pie? Or a third option I'm missing?
2. If meatballs, large traditional Italian style or small traditional Mom style?
3. If shepherd's pie, do I make the mashed potatos from scratch? Never done that before. It could be interesting; it could be tragic.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Also, I'll be making one of my weekly trips to Eastern Market Sunday. If you want to come along, give a holler.