A Blog Mainly About Food

If by "mainly" you mean "sometimes"

Friday, December 31, 2004

NYE Dinner

I've cooked dinner on New Year's Eve for the last couple of years. Seems like a nice way to end the year out. Last year was an adventure in making my own buffalo burgers, which weren't bad but were a little on the dry side (note to the interested: there is very little fat in buffalo--so adjust your cooking times accordingly).

Tonight should be a quiet dinner alone before heading out to Rob's house. I've put three chicken legs/thighs in a marinade of red wine vinegar, olive oil, chili powder, thyme, salt, and garlic. I'll let that sit in the fridge for a few hours (flipping it in the meantime, of course). Don't know what I'll serve it with. Probably broccoli and some rolls. Simple, easy, effective.

I've got a few skills I'd like to acquire in the new year. First, I want to make soup. I've done stew, but soup seems to take a lighter hand, something I definitely do not have. Hopefully by May I'll have the ability to make a bisque and French Onion soup, two of my favorites.

Also, its high time I purchased a food processor. This will help me to make gazpacho. I still haven't topped the bowl of gazpacho I had with Suzanne in Granada, years ago.

This year I roasted a turkey. Next year, I will make a crown roast. Also, I want to cook more shellfish come spring and summer. And make a perfect tuna steak--which I've failed to do on numerous occasions.

Hmm... I keep getting more ideas. At this rate, I'll have meals planned up to New Year's Eve 2005.